It’s practically summertime in the Lower East Side, and as your neighborhood front desk, here’s what you should NOT miss in our beloved ‘hood this June:
- Every Monday night at 10 PM: Arlene’s World Famous Live Rock and Roll Karaoke Band. Um, two words: LIVE KARAOKE. Bonus: it’s free and Mondays usually blow. Shout out the existential ennui until your voice is gone. What is there to say on Tuesdays, anyway?
- June 7: Egg Rolls, Egg Creams & Empanadas Festival at the Eldridge Street Synagogue Museum. Um, the name sells itself. We really don’t need to expound on this any more.
- June 14: DayLife. Get your life — your DayLIFE. This outdoor fest up and down Orchard Street offers the best in our ‘hood’s food, fashion, music, games and art. The theme is literally: “Let’s celebrate warm weather!!!” See you there. (We’ll be the ones holding up the line at the Insomnia Cookies booth.)
- June 22: Find your holiest flannel and throw out your shampoo: SOUL ASYLUM IS PLAYING AT THE BOWERY BALLROOM. We might have played “Runaway Train” over and over and over and over on our DiscMan as youths, because feelings.
- June 24: The Steve Nash Foundation Showdown at Sara Roosevelt Park. Ok, so it’s not a basketball game; it’s actually a soccer tournament between the NBA legend and other b-ball players versus Italy’s World Cup star, Alessandro Del Piero, and his hot-legged friends. The s***t talk will on point. (It’s also an excuse to brag that Copilot Maggie played b-ball in COLLEGE. COLLEGE, not high school.)
See you there, kweens!